HDI, supported by the Holtec family of companies, is amply equipped with the complement of capabilities needed to hold the license for shuttered nuclear plants and to safely decommission them.
HDI’s unique capabilities that differentiate the company include:
- The Company is backed by Holtec’s robust financial strength with no history of long-term debt and a financially strong position that enables research and development for new innovative solutions to be self-financed.
- HDI offers efficient whole pool de-fueling of shuttered nuclear units placing them in dry storage within three years after the reactor’s shut-down. This means all high-level waste and over 95% of the plant’s entire rad-waste content is sequestered in an essentially unbreachable confinement vessel. This safe and efficient denuclearization of the plant is possible because of HDI’s ability to deploy the industry’s most heat-rejective multi-purpose canisters (MPC) licensed by the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC).
- HDI is strategically advantaged in that it can readily access the talent available through Holtec’s family of companies and divisions such as SMR, LLC; Holtec Manufacturing Division (HMD); Nuclear Power Division (NPD); Holtec Ukraine; Holtec Asia; Holtec Africa; Holtec Brazil; and Holtec Government Services (HGS).
- HDI’s licensing and regulatory affairs expertise combines the large number of NRC dockets held by Holtec and extensive experience with regulators in the many countries in which Holtec operates. HDI leadership also has experience in leading nuclear industry wide licensing efforts.
- HDI’s decontamination and deconstruction activities are led by experienced industry professionals with years of experience working for operating and decommissioned plant sites.
- HDI’s ability to take on multiple decommissioning plants at the same time due to its proven fleet management model that standardizes governance and oversight with the added flexibility to adjust for unique situations. This is coupled with strategically employing the knowledgeable site personnel.
- HDI’s safety and quality programs are based on the high performance and best practices from Holtec’s manufacturing plants and site services projects.
- HDI’s pioneering program to minimize personnel dose seeks to utilize special purpose robots in high radiation areas. This innovative robot program builds on Holtec’s successful introduction of robot-aided manufacturing in the Company’s fabrication facilities as well as in its site services activities.
- Unsurpassed capability in computational fluid dynamics gives HDI the powerful tools to simulate the temperature field in a fuel-laden pool with great fidelity. This means calculation of when a zirc-fire in the pool is no longer credible can be readily assessed. Demonstration of this, safely permits the plant to reduce costs associated with mitigating a postulated zirc-fire event.